Regional Resource and Training Centre (RRTC):
In order to improve the quality of life of the elders, Ministry of Social Justice and Empowerment, Government of India, has put forward, under the Integrated Programme for Older persons, the scheme for running Regional Resource and Training centres (RRTC). NGOs doing exemplary work in the field of age care have been identified and recognized to be the RRTC in a specified region of India. RRTCs are expected to be key collaborating partners for ensuring effective implementation of the policies and programmes of the Ministry.
WHAT WE DO:
The Ministry of Social Justice and Empowerment, Government of India has designated Nightingales Medical Trust to be the RRTC for Age Care for the five southern states of Karnataka, Andhra Pradesh, Kerala, Lakshadweep and Pondicherry in India.
As an RRTC for age care, our mandate is monitoring, providing technical support, training and capacity building for effective delivery of age care services by the NGOs funded by the Ministry. As RRTC, we also conduct advocacy, sensitization and awareness programmes in the field of age care. We interface with concerned State Government departments, local bodies, schools and colleges, senior citizens forums etc. for building linkages and networking to further the cause of age care.
ACTIVITIES OF THE RRTC:
- Workshops focusing on the causes and prevention of abuse and crime against the elderly.
- Vocational training and Community training in computers for the elderly.
- A three-month basic course for care givers, bed-side assistants; mostly for rural and unemployed women.
- Six months Certificate course in geriatric care.
- Sensitization and awareness programmes for students and senior citizens on inter generation gap, elder’s rights and the Maintenance Act.
- One month Certificate course in basics of geriatric care for NGO functionaries.
- State-level capacity building workshops in age care.
- Regional-level consultative meet on age care on minimum standards of care in old age homes and regulatory bodies for old age homes.